As a ministry relying on regular fundraising income, your unique ministry strategy for sustainable and scalable growth should be detailed in a strategic plan. This document should address the four key pillars of effective fundraising: acquisition, conversion, cultivation and retention. Your plan should complement your operational growth plan, and show consistency with the ministry outcomes.
At a minimum, an effective fundraising strategic plan should address:
- A biblical foundation for your fundraising
- Diversified streams of revenue
- Overarching brand strategy
- An integrated communications schedule, outlining regular communication as well as campaigns and their integration across different channels
- A plan to acquire new donors
- A strong conversion process i.e. Names converting to donors, and then to regular giving.
- An established CRM system, or the plan to implement one
- A donor care policy to keep attrition low
The following questions would help to address the recommendations above:
- What is your core message and point of difference in the marketplace?
- Who is your target acquisition demographic (e.g. high net worth, professional, retired etc.)?
- How does your brand “connect” your purpose into the mind of the potential donor?
- How is your brand positioned in the marketplace, and what is your point of difference to other ministries in the Kingdom, and in your sector?
- Do you have a donor care policy or CRM in place? What is your donor management system?
- What is your integrated communications strategy (e.g. regular newsletters, campaigns, events, lunches/dinners)? Do you apply unique communication to data segments?
- Do you have (or do you intend to employ) staff dedicated to the implementation and execution of fundraising efforts? If so, what skills do/should they have (to match the outlined integrated fundraising)? Suggest including drafted job descriptions and KPIs.
- Have you engaged consultants in developing the strategic plan, or for supporting the execution of the fundraising strategy?
- What are your fundraising targets and budget?
- Who in management will be responsible for the plan and its implementation?
- How is prayer integrated into your ministry, as well as your fundraising?